Major Logistics Project
DataScope designed, built and provided consultancy services in the implementation of a new end-to-end logistics system for a major third party logistics provider for one of the UK’s largest airports.
After a highly successful development and deployment of a Proof of Concept Logistics System, DataScope was subsequently approached to adapt this system to match the logistics model and demanding specifications of the airport.
- A comprehensive supplier/retailer delivery booking system
- Ability to book a collection
- A full Tack and Trace system using QR codes and an android scanner to track deliveries throughout the logistics cycle
- A complete audit trail of a delivery’s movements including timestamps, photographs taken and electronic signature capture
- Exception alerts when a package entered an area it shouldn’t have
- A billing model which automatically generated billing reports
- A Master Data Management System to allow for full configurability of the system and logistics flow
How did DataScope add Value?
While DataScope was provided with a detailed specification, there were areas which required our vast experience in this area to guide the development of certain aspects of the system and suggest changes and improvements to the original specification that we believed would both enhance the software and the end-user experience.
In terms of our approach to the project, DataScope adopted agile software development methodology, meaning that DataScope worked in 2-week sprints to allow for constant review and adaption of the system as it evolved as well as the flexibility to make any late changes to the system build upon a client’s request. Upon system deployment, DataScope provided a comprehensive training package, as well as supplying “Hypercare” to site during the go-live week which meant an around-the-clock on-site presence of a DataScope technical lead to provide support with the transition to the new system.
The implementation of our system has driven a number of both time and cost-saving benefits to our client. These include:
- Giving suppliers the ability to print their own labels, saving the logistics team significant time
- A streamlined scanning process of packages via the android app with the benefit of further time saved
- A full audit trail of all package movements with more precise traceability of a packages’ location
- Highly advanced system configurability using the Master Data Management System – our client would previously need to submit a change request to the previous provider which would have both cost and time implications. This has now been eliminated in many areas
As a result of the resounding success of the system, DataScope have subsequently developed the system for three additional sites, and are in talks to develop the system even further on two major projects.